In this era that we are experiencing… it is inconceivable to me that you would not be watching Stephen Colbert on a regular basis. And if you are not, I hope that you will give the show a chance – at least in the coming weeks before SNL returns to the airwaves.
The comedy inspiration is off the charts and I tune in on a regular basis to watch or catch up with whatever has been jibed at the Mango-muncher-mooch-upon-the-life-of-the-people to try to heal with laughter.
But apart from watching my delightful Stephen crack wise and chum with his guests, I thoroughly enjoy the show for the delightful Jon Batiste – the leader of the band for the Late Night show.
Jon Batiste is a delight. He is a joy and extremely talented.. but here are some great things about him that you should know and tune in to check out!
So… here are some reasons why he is the greatest!
1) Jon Batiste has some WICKED wardrobe choices!
I tune in to just to see what he might be wearing – cause from day to day it could be ANYTHING! Check it:
2) Jon’s laugh – I could link to a clip of his laughter, but then you might not go and watch the show, and you should. But there are times when I’m certain he’s surprised by Stephen’s material because his laughter is off the HOOK! It is infectious and joyful. Go to your on demand, play all the monologues and listen to his reactions. So much fun!
3) He plays the melodica! And it is joyous! He said once that he decided to choose that so he could move out from behind the piano. I think it was a good choice – for many reasons. Check this link to him playing and disappear down the YouTube tunnel for a few hours.
4) His kanoodling on the show is TOP NOTCH!
Jon continually accompanies the show with little melody discourses that are absolutely brilliant and on point. He is so sensitive to the material that is being delivered and to the lively energy and enthusiasm that is being pumped out each night, but he’s improvising all of that and it is exceptional. Ask Paul Shaffer! He should know! He recently visited the show and commented upon Jon’s noodling… Watch this link – he starts to interact with Jon around 3:15 or so. Amazing.
5) He is just SO MUCH FUN! And he’s assembled a pretty hip, slick and professional band to support Stephen Colbert and The Late Show. Tune in for JB and Stay Human even if you don’t tune in for Stephen. But tune in for Stephen as well, because the commentary is going to be historical!